Tuesday, August 03, 2010

The Captain's Great Tornado Adventure

Getting back to my point that parents forget what it's like to be a kid and therefore forget what is "real fun," what can be funner than after a day of shooting AR 15's, smoking cigars and agate hunting in the middle of nowhere South Dakota than getting caught in the middle of the grasslands with NO COVER and racing back to the car only to decide at the last moment to go tornado chasing...because...well, one decides to form immediately off to your left.



I do believe after revisiting the physical site my tornado struck earlier this afternoon it was a "gustnado" and not a tornado I saw, but it was a text book example of a tornadic storm. HEre's the weather report.

Regardless, the larger point is that kids should be allowed to have this kind of fun. Oh sure, "parents" would raise some concerns about "safety" and blah blah blah, but it's these kind of things that one remembers later on in life and in the words of John Candy from "Planes, Trains and Automobiles"

"As much fun as I've had on this little journey, I'm sure one day I'll look back on it and laugh."

No comments: