Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Learned I Would Never Fly a Veritech Fighter

As a 10 year old boy I loved watching Robotech. Scott Bernard was my hero and I was hoping (with advances in technology) that I too would be able to pilot a Veritech fighter as well as pilot a Cyclone.




Of course the technology for motorcycles that change into armor and fighter planes that turn into mecha did not advance quite as rapidly as I had hoped, but then again, by the time I was about 14 or 15, I realized it was just a natural and typical childhood dream of a normal 10 year old American boy and it would never materialize in my life.

Of course, then, some people never reach this stage of maturity and keep believing that they too can pilot Veritech fighters and single-handedly repel the Invid Invasion. Of course it's isn't really repelling the Invid Invasion as much as it is watching Eat Pray Love, or moving to NYC to relive Sex in the City, or going on some kind of world tour adventure that has no grounding in reality.

Though, I do wonder. Why is it required to get divorced to go on these adventures? Wouldn't you presumably WANT your spouse to come with you?

No, no, I know. I know. I'm just a stupid Ray Romano male. What do I know.

Enjoy the decline.

11 comments:

Country Lawyer said...

Kind of puts the lie to "Don't you want to have someone to do things with when you're older" and "You're just going to die alone" if you don't get married. The type of crap women throw at men all the time.

There will always be a divorced cougar that wants to travel the world on an adventure if I am really that desperate for companionship . . .

daniel_ream said...

Around 1989 or so, an engineer tested the fighter configuration of the VF-1 Valkyrie and determined that the design as presented is aerodynamically stable.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.toys.transformers/browse_thread/thread/2fcb8321aed99448

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the linkage Captain. I did a double take when first reading this post. It took me a second to process the Robotech reference.

DubTee said...

Loved Robotech when I was a kid, around 7-8. We had a Flix or Videoflix or something nearby and I would rent that and the Transformers Movie in rotation. I wonder if they sell DVDs of that old show...

Pulp Herb said...

Well, according to Ms. Hymowitz, among others, we haven't grown up either because we're still flying our Veritechs with our X-Boxes (or in my case the table top Robotech RPG).

Although I have to wonder about the mote in your eye where you want to hammer men for immaturity in playing with their X-Box but can't see that Sex in the City and Eat/Pray/Love aren't the models of maturity and growth women seem to think they are.

ScottH said...

"Though, I do wonder. Why is it required to get divorced to go on these adventures?

How do you think she's gonna pay for the adventure otherwise?

Captain Capitalism said...

Herb,

There is a HUGE difference between a guy playing MOH or "Robotech Invid Invasion" on his XBox 360 and a woman who MOVES TO NYC thinking they're going to relive the lives of the Sex in the City girls.

We live in reality and acknowledge we are playing a video game.

They are delusional.

Not one kid playing Red Dead Redemption is ever going to move out west to try to live the life of John Marston.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it would be Sexist to step back and question whether or not the Womens Liberation Movement has improved society or womens lives...

1) They are having midlife crisis's now like men, and the divorce rate is around 50%.

2) The women's life expectancy is dropping closer to Men's age now.

3) The kids are getting neglected and who knows what kind of price will be paid for that.

4) No body is happy now.

Anything else I missed?

CSPB said...

A rant worthy of reading:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/cooper/cooper39.1.html

daniel_ream said...

Really want to ruin Sex and the City for a fan? Buy her the original book by Candace Bushnell.

No, really. In the original book, all the women suffer the realistic consequences of their lifestyle - that is, they spend every Friday night with their head in the toilet and their hair full of puke and/or semen.

Pulp Herb said...

Captain,

That was exactly the point I was after, rereading maybe it didn't come across right.

In my reference to Mathew 7:3-5 was directed at women such as Hymowitz who complain about the man-child. While one can, if one tries really to hard to find the most egregious examples, find man-children at 44 playing X-Box. Yet, Sex and the City and Eat,Pray,Love are mainstream and in such writer's faces yet they never question them.

First cast out the beam out of thine own eye, indeed.