Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hypotype of the 68th Medical Regiment

My grandpa died a while ago and going through some of his stuff I came across a newspaper/letter while he was in the Marines in WWII. Of the many places he was stationed, most notable was his participation in the Battle of Iwo Jima. He was on the second wave of Marines to hit the beach and being a medic certainly saw his fair share of bloodshed.

In any case, I don't know how many people are alive from the 68th Medical Regiment, but thought I might throw this up there in case some of the original authors or perhaps people mentioned in the publication might still be around and like to see a piece of yesteryear.

Here are the names listed in the publication so it is searchable;

Francis Kintz
Albert Schuster
William Hoffman
Richard Weinert
Lloyd Reid
Sigmund Nastale
Ike Woolf
Chaplain McBarron
Bill Hiehle
Elmer Vana
Hy Kaplan
Forg Giannaki
Stretch Putnam
Koewler Brafford
Winterbothom
Joe Perlman
Dave Pollack
Jesse Hutson
Rudy Goddard
Chester Walls
Joe Sulk






6 comments:

Hot Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Captain Capitalism said...

Dude,

Why don't you send me that stuff. I would totally link to it!

flash said...

For any one interested reading an awesome and often gruesome first hand account of the life of a marine rifleman serving in the in the South Pacific in WWII , Eugene "Sledgehammer" Sledge's book "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" is a good place to start.
I couldn't put it down.

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Breed-At-Peleliu-Okinawa/dp/0195067142

Hot Sam said...

Hospital on Wheels by Leo Ours

68th Medical Regiment (WWII) Association
Mr. Rex D. Linkous
5220 Windridge Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46226
(Memory Book)
(317) 547-6076

Anonymous said...

As a Marine veteran myself,and an avid reader of your blog, I feel the need to ask. Was your grandfather a Marine (medic), or was he a Navy Corpsman? My confusion stems from the fact that as far as I know, there has never been a medical arm of the Marine Corps. Falling technically under the Department of the Navy, we utilize their own version of what the Army calls medics, or Corpsman in the Navy. I only ask because although I served recently (as an Infantryman),I have never heard of, nor realized that the Marine Corps ever fielded their own medics. If they did I would want to know, so please, maybe you could find out... In any case, if your grandfather was a Marine, then Semper Fi! and if he was a Corpsman then Semper Fi! We love our docs, although they are non-combatants, they do everything we do, and go everywhere we go. Thank God for them.

Captain Capitalism said...

No, good astute observation.

He was in the Navy, but then finished in the Marines. Landed with the 5th (I think?) Marine division at Iwo Jima.

The memorabilia of his is all Marines however, nothing to indicate Navy, but he said he was in the Navy. So I would have to talk to my mom some more to find out precisely what it was he was in.