Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I Don't Want to Use Recycled Toilet Paper

So it was finally warm enough to run outside yesterday and to keep the finery know as the Captain's bod in shape I decided to go running. I run in the city and since this is Minneapolis, that means everything is pretty much lefty, including the ice cream store I go to, to treat myself after I run.

Ended up having to go to the bathroom and they had done some remodeling and put in a new bathroom. Very nicely done and while I'm sitting there I look to my right and see this on the wrapping of the toilet paper;




I don't know about you, but don't you think we're taking this whole "green" thing a little bit far. I mean, do you really have to recycle toilet paper to save the planet? Of all the things we could do, you know like nuclear power, get more efficient cars, drive motorcycles, allow the population to telecommute, I think recycled toilet paper is a bit much, huh?

In any case, a new item to add to the list of "girls the Captain won't date;"

Item #378c - Girls that buy recycled toilet paper.

10 comments:

Kasia said...

Is it recycled toilet paper, or is it toilet paper made from recycled fibers? I might buy the latter, but not the former...

Anonymous said...

im just gonna hope it's recycled from everything else but toilet paper and stay optimistic about the species, for now at least.

Ed Kohler said...

Been there, done that. TP made from recycled paper is not ready for prime time.

Ryan Lackey said...

toilet paper (mostly pre-consumer waste, maybe post-consumer office paper, packaging, etc. waste) seems like one of the best uses for recycled paper -- color doesn't matter, no need to bleach, etc. packaging for shipments, cardboard, etc. would also be good uses for recycled material. office paper which needs to be bleached is the worst possible use of postconsumer waste, and really is worse than using virgin pulp from sustainable forests -- as evidenced by price differential.

it's obviously not "reused toilet paper" -- that gets flushed in most countries (in the middle east/old plumbing it goes into a trash bin).

Captain Capitalism said...

Ed, you're in town, I presume you could guess the ice cream joint then.

On a side note, the tissue was quite comfy and plush. And though I know it was not from recycled "toilet paper" still the "renatured" theme just threw me off.

Ed Kohler said...

Sebastian Joe's, perhaps?

My experience comes from Seventh Generation. It's a product I wish I could love, but not quite yet.

Ro! said...

you know they paid about $2/roll for this crap don't ya? (http://www.janisan.com/Paper/Paper.html)
as opposed to $0.7 a roll..

Kudos to the marketing ingenuity!; environmental wacko fall head over heals while the franchise rake in customers...

I will stick with non-cycled toilet paper.. at least i don't have to worry about metal shards tearing up my behind...

Roberto A. Pérez Díaz said...

please, post the rest of the list

Captain Capitalism said...

Roberto,

Heh, I'm already in enough trouble with the girls! Though here is another one;

Item #78b - I will not date a girl that lives at home.

Hey Ro!

$2 a roll????? I was wondering why my single scoop of ice cream was $5. Used to be $3.

Andrew L said...

Back in the olden days they used to use old catalogs for toilet paper. I wonder which forward thinking, environmentally friendly restaurant chain will be the first to go back to that . . .