But the little hot librarian in my mind decided to search through the ole Captain's mental archives and pulled something she deemed relevant and might explain it:
When he was looking for his second wife he was insistent on showing me her picture (along with all the other girls he was considering) on the dating/mail order bride site.
In hindsight what this tells me is that he never viewed these women as potential spouses, mates or wifey like material, but rather things or objects (albeit luxurious). He was literally shopping for a young, hot, woman in an online catalogue, no different that if he were looking for shoes on Amazon.com. What's worse is that despite the HA-YOOOOGE price he has paid for his past two mail order brides, he is going at it again, with surprisingly little remorse, let alone fear. In other words his hind economic-lizard brain has made the calculation that it is worth it. It is worth the risk and the likely price to have a hot, young mail order bride that he probably really couldn't care less about emotionally.
But then it occurred to me what was really happening on an economic level:
He was merely leasing beauty.
While we can all understand men wanting to be with pretty women as opposed to ugly ones, and preferring to have sex with hot girls instead of fat ones, what I cannot understand is the psychology that drives some men to pay to merely be with and seen with a hot chick. But just because I personally can't understand it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen and doesn't mean there isn't a market. This is a real economic phenomenon that I cannot deny exists.
However, my best economic explanation of what we are viewing (and thus an explanation of why some men do this) is that it is a separate economic market from the traditional sexual market place. In the "normal" market place, normal men and women meet, date, court and kind of stumble their way towards marriage. I would estimate this accounts for 70% of men who (while maybe not all Clive Owen) are capable, no matter how clumsily, of invariably having enough charm and wit to score a mate. Of the remaining 30%, I would estimate 25% are either just fine on their own, MGTOW's, not interested, or are too afraid of rejection to go and attract a mate. But there's that 5% remaining who have no game or charm, but DO have enough money to essentially lease out women's attention at very high financial and emotional rates, and these guys make up this obscure market. But to them it makes perfect sense.
They don't need to go to clubs.
They don't need to work out.
They don't need to practice Walter Matthauish and Cary Grantish charm.
They just need to pay a price.
They just merely need to "buy" her attention.
And even when the attention dries up or she just skips town, the prospects of participating in the sexual market place to find another girl "the normal way" is still too daunting. So daunting in fact they'd rather "play it safe" and get MOB #2, #3, #4,...#n as long as the money doesn't run out.
I'm no fan of the meat market. Been there, done that, and I was what could have been considered "very successful." But I'd rather take my chances there than going to the