Thursday, February 07, 2013

The Metamorphisis of a Player Changing into "The Most Interesting Man in the World"

I've said it before, but players, no matter how successful, burn out.  In part because it is no longer novel, but more so because:

1.  the pain you have to go through tolerating the immature attitudes of most girls to get dates/sex isn't worth it.
2.  the opportunity costs of your time, energy and money spent increase as you get older

In short, as a man ages he'll start pursuing loftier, grander, more intellectually stimulating pursuits instead of spending another 4 hours of his precious and finite life at yet another bar,

pursuing yet another floozy,

achieving yet the same results. 

He'll look at his nice home with the fireplace and wonder if reading a book with a snifter of scotch wouldn't be better.  He'll look at his garage and wonder if fixing up that motorcycle with his buddies while home brewing some beer wouldn't be more productive.  He'll think about starting a business in a field that is his passion so he no longer has to work. 

It's not an issue of "growing up" or "maturing" as much as it is an economic question.  Your marginal utility in getting an additional girl is not as high as the marginal utility in brewing your own beer, or taking your first trip to Sturgis, or summiting your first mountain.  And given this difference between marginal utility, men do leave the market as they age.

This is why you don't see a 40 year old at the "night club" type bars trying to pick up on 20 something chicks unless they're recently divorced.  This is why (if you're my age) you can't STAND going to a bar to "flirt" and try to "score" with a chick, and would much rather don your MP3 player and listen to Bill Burr's podcast while splitting wood.  This is (in part) why women in their 30's and 40's, freshly divorced "can't find a man" at the bar, because the man at the bar really just came there to get a drink.

However, though the tone of this post may sound somber, as the player "ages" and realizes he'd rather do other things in life, it shouldn't be.  This is nothing more than the natural progression of a player.  The good news is what comes next in the evolutionary stage of a player.  He turns into The World's Most Interesting Man. 

Conquering what most men don't (their genetic and biological programming to CONSTANTLY chase women), the player is now mentally free to focus on the rich and unlimited opportunties life presents him.  He no longer is biologically compelled to go to the bar, waste another half a day, only to score with another journalism major who writes about fashion.  He is truly a free man and can now achieve his full potential in life.  Like The Most Interesting Man in the World he will pursue whatever his id desires.

Hang gliding
Motorcycles
Travel
Crafts and skills
Art and music

You name it.

And not only will he pursue it, but because that is what he desires, he will master it.

The irony or the funny thing is this will only make him more desirable to women.

He won't be that ripped, smooth talking 27 year old who knows just what to say.

He'll be that peppered bearded man, who pulls up in a convertible, tangos with a select few women, enjoys a cigar with his cadre of friends, and COULD ask a girl for her number, but won't because invariably women will find a way to get to know him.  Even if they don't, he doesn't care.  He's too busy learning to distill scotch and listening-up on his Johnny Coltrane and Thelonious Monk. 

So yes, while we may mourn the "death of a player," realize the player is on to bigger and better things, and the pinnacle of male achievement.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cappy,

Is this your obit?

Unknown said...

Most people do things for self validation. If banging a bunch of women gives that to you, fine.
But if not, the suggestions in your past are also good. Pursuing your passions, interests, and hobbies is a great way of feeling confident and getting self-validation. Although I have never understood why men couldn't do both at the same time? Too much time and energy?

I kinda agree with you on this one. Color me stunned.

Unknown said...

I wonder how you feel about girls or women who pursue a hobby or passion or -ahem- a career in their youth for validation, gets tired of it, wants more, and then later pursues and focuses on settling down?

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the best posts you have written. This evolution is the same as the decision to go your own way. Personally, I discovered the red pill late. But, quickly after i took it the cost-benefit runs through my head constantly.

It could just be my sample size, it just never seems worth the effort. The quality of women in my area is simply not worth the effort of pursuit. running the opportunity cost of my next best alternative is consistently better than running the game.

Whenever this type of thing comes up re good men or man up, I have told numerous women and men they need to look at why a guy is choosing xbox over some chicks box. I am astonished by the ignorance displayed by people failing to realize a lot of men are actively choosing the former over the latter. The factors that lead to the decision to stay home and play xbox are willfully ignored.

taterearl said...

Best part of "Enjoy the Decline" in my opinion becoming the most interesting man in the world.

And lately I have just gone to bars by myself for a drink...and that's all I wanted to do. Yet, I've met some interesting people to talk to.

Dancing was another hobby I wanted to master because I wanted to. Turned out to be one of the better decisions I made.

Captain Capitalism said...

Moksie,

Personally I don't care. Financially, however, I do as these women typically go to college at taxpayer subsidizing expense only not to pursue their career and settle down anyway.

ie-I don't like paying more taxes for Suzie Q to major in "philsophy" only to not use it or pursue a career.

Anonymous said...

The most interesting man in the world wouldn't actually aspire to be the most interesting man in the world. If he did, he would no longer be the most interesting man in the world.

Honestly, does any truly interesting person actually try to be interesting or need to feel that sort of personal validation?

Just sayin'

Captain Capitalism said...

anon 108,

Correct, however, I was not saying that a player who is graduating should "aim" to be the most interesting man in the world, he just "naturally will become."

Anonymous said...

Now in my 50's, I've been looking to other endeavors for a while. Much to my surprise, I have a real talent for day trading derivatives, and am really enjoying making good money. I'm finding this far more interesting and fun than women.

With good money, women simply don't register on my give-a-crap meter. At all. I'm too busy enjoying life and traveling. I can work from pretty much anywhere in the developed world, and meet their women if I want to...

Breaker Morant said...

I don't get the respect for Roosh as a "Player." OK-So he notched his belt hundreds of times, most likely with women who were also notching their belts at the same time. Big Deal.

Bigger challenge-marry a good woman when you are young and stay the most interesting man in the world to her.

I am going hunting in Zimbabwe this summer-my wife is going along as an observer. I am also writing a book about the trip and the whole process-probably wont sell-but I will have written a book. I am 46 with 20+ years of marriage.

You don't think my wife is finding me pretty interesting right now?

Anonymous said...

Breaker Morant,
Hear, hear! The good ones get taken early (and they aren't going to bars trying to hit on middle aged men). But you can't be the most interesting man in the world. I'm married to him. ;-)

Anonymous said...

@ Breaker Morant

Good for you if you found one worth the effort.

Most don't.

And, that my good man, is a statistical fact.

I'm enjoying my late thirties scuba diving, getting my pilot's license, skateboarding, surfing, drinking beer, advancing to higher dans in karate and generally making a nuisance of myself.

Why? Because the alternative; marriage and children; is a disaster for most men of my age.

Best Regards,

Ubermensch.

Dave said...

There's one you left out, something women do all the time:

Single parenthood

It's quite doable; just go to a poor country and adopt an orphan or pay a young lady to make a baby for you. Perfect for the dude who wants to raise a batch of adoring minions but is afraid of losing them in a divorce.

Would children raised this way be as messed up as the fatherless spawn of single mothers? Or messed up in different ways? I don't know.

Anonymous said...

Well, Dave, Michael Jackson's kids seem to have turned out great.

Take The Red Pill said...

So true, Cap'n -- there comes a point in your life when women just don't register as an interest to you anymore (mostly due to being such a lousy return when compared to the investment of your time and money), and are moved onto your 'don't give a damn' list.
Ironically, they usually get upset and angry about that -- even after they have spent the majority of their lives ignoring you! Strange, eh?

Breaker Morant said...

Anon 2:51>>>The good ones (Women)get taken early <<<

I just don't have a lot of sympathy for the Players who bemoan the quality of the dating pool as they get older. I strongly suspect that most Players threw away a pretty good woman early on (and likely more than one).

I had Zero game but, oddly enough I was placed in a position where I had (got?) to choose between 2 pretty good ones-the one I married and another one.

As I have gotten older, I realize that a more mature me likely would have chosen the other one for various reasons. However, she would not have been available to a more mature me because she got married after and is still married.



Blake said...

Is it weird that this kind of talk makes ME feel "burnt out" even though I've never done any gaming?

Anyway - I think the best option is to learn game on American women - then take that shit overseas to find a wife.

Find one that doesn't mind not having kids... then get her to work on anti-aging. (Of course you should join her in that)...

Then - travel - make money - and fuck like rabbits. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have to wonder why everyone seems to think an imported wife is a wonderful idea. My father married a European woman 20 years younger than he, and at the end of his life he was the most henpecked bastard imaginable. At his death he wore a smile. My mom is batshit crazy, but she had such a poor command of the English language he didn't realize it until they had been married a few years. Yeah, she stayed skinny and hot, I'm thankful she passed that on to me, but otherwise his life sucked.

All of these discussions seem to be missing the obvious: If you don't like a person, they can tell. Even the stupidest animal usually can, it's hardwired in the lizard brain. Body language gives it away, in those unguarded moments. Don't like women? They can sense that, and the only ones interested aren't worth the interest.