Monday, February 11, 2013

Why Conan O'Brien is a Class Act

Long story short.  My girlfriend's brother in law has terminal cancer.  He's packing it in and enjoying the decline as much as he can.  Last year he went to New York and as chance would have it he ran into Conan O'Brien at Central Park.  As my girlfriend described it, you could tell Conan was busy, walking in a direct line and with purpose.  Not to mention he IS Conan O'Brien so he's obviously constantly harassed by fans.  I said,

"Please tell me you didn't harass the poor man."

They did.

But not only did Conan take the time out of his busy schedule to talk, he was kind enough to take a picture with her brother in law.


I'm not a big fan of celebrities as I think they're usually pretty pompous and arrogant, but wanted to point out what just what a sport, class act, and real article Conan O'Brien is.

5 comments:

NAOMI said...

I'm a Conan fan. I always look out for any news on him (daily, hahaha! I online stalk him!). Glad I found this. He's not just funny and intelligent but really kind as well. Wish there were more people like him.

Anonymous said...

Kudo's are deserved.

I have to admit, were I a celebrity, I'm sure my normal charming, patient self would turn into a snarling, sardonic monster, jealous of my alone time.

And the sad thing is you only have to having a bad day once or twice and blow people off, to get a bad reputation.

Anonymous said...

There are a few that have proven themselves classy:

When the Colorado shooting went down, Christian Bale made the trip on his own to console and be with the victims. No press fanfare (most found out after the fact.) Now I have heard he is a bit demanding on the set (and does poke fun at himself in the process,) but his stock went up a few points in my book.

Another: Nathan Fillion of Firefly fame. Goes to conventions regularly. And while he doesn't have time to stop to talk to everyone that says hi, he gives them a card with his autograph apologizing for not taking more time to talk. Link: http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/7/17/nathan-fillions-comic-con-card-that-he-hands-to-fans.html

Anonymous said...

Classic Harvard guy; I knew him and his brother there.

Christian Bale was such an over-the-top asshole in that one set video, he'd _better_ make nice.

Chitown said...

Met Conan at a pub in London. My son and I were having dinner and he was dining with his family so we didn't want to disturb them during their dinner and left them alone. After dinner while waiting for their car Conan talked to some of pub patrons. He was kind enough to talk to and take a picture with my son. http://imgur.com/Mptm1
He really is a class act as you said.