Thursday, July 03, 2014

Life During Peacetime - Book Review


"Life During Peacetime" is an essay by Matt Forney about his exploits with a blogger groupie.  It is a short piece, which is why I'm thankful he calls it an essay and not a "tome" or a "book," but just so you know up front, it's about 30 pages or so.

The e-book version is only 99 cents and the paper back is $8.99.  Whether it is worth the money depends on your tastes and preferences, but I would say definitely for the e-reader, not so much for the paperback.  For $8.99 you can get a real book that will consume more of your time.

Costs and pricing aside it is a very well written book.  I keep forgetting that Matt is younger than me because he is such a good writer.  When I read his stuff, it usually sounds like it's coming from a 45 year old.  However, his youth shines through with a wee-bit too much crassness and vulgarity. Naturally, you all know I like to curse, but I try to eschew crass sexual topics, of which there are many in this book.

Still, if you're looking for a short read too kill part of an afternoon or this kind of book is up your alley and I'd recommend buying the book.  But if you want a book length work of fiction or have a weak stomach like I do for overly gross sexual details, I would not advise it.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

That's got to be the most odd picture of you yet.

Drive-by Commenter said...

Matt Forney looks quite cute wearing diapers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cappy,

You've just illustrated one of the great joys of fatherhood. I used to read to my children when they were small and nothing gave me more pleasure than to help my little ones discover the world through reading.

You look like you're having a great time ;-)